Military Service Tax Exemption
Application Filed with:
Story County Assessor
900 6th Street
Nevada, IA 50201
Application Due Date: July 1
Duration of Exemption:
As long as applicant is a resident of the State of Iowa, and owner of property where credit is used. An unmarried widow of a qualified veteran qualifies for the exemption.
Created in 1886 to benefit those who served in any one of the military forces. State monies shall be apportioned each year so as to replace all or a portion of the tax exemption on the property of those eligible for military service exemption.
If you are a veteran who is buying a new home, investment property or have not
yet filed for a Military Service Tax Exemption from
Story County the Story County Assessor's Office encourages you to file to receive
this substantial savings on your property tax statement.
Military Service Tax Exemption has to be applied for only one time and will be
granted each year for this property as long as you continuously own the home / property, and still hold the title to the property.
You will not need
to re-file to receive this credit as long as you meet these terms.
- Honorably discharged veteran who served a minimum aggregate of eighteen months.
- Honorably discharged veteran who served fewer than eighteen months because of a
service related injury.
- Former member of Reserve Forces or Iowa National Guard who served at least 20
- Member of Reserve Forces or Iowa National Guard who have served at least 20
years and continue to serve.
- Former member of the Armed Forces if any portion of their term of enlistment
would have occurred within the Korean Conflict but who opted to serve 5 years in
the reserve forces as allowed by Federal law.
- Honorably discharged veteran who served in an eligible service period.
- WW1 - April 6, 1917 through Nov. 11, 1918 = ($2,778)
- Occupation of Germany - Nov. 12, 1918 through July 11, 1923 = ($1,852)
- American Expeditionary Forces in Siberia - Nov. 12, 1918 through April 30, 1920
- Second Haitian suppression of insurrections - 1919 through 1920 = ($1,852)
- Second Nicaragua Campaign with Marines or Navy in Nicaragua or on combatant
ships - 1926 through 1933 = ($1,852)
- Yangtze service with Navy and Marines in Shanghai or in Yangtze Valley - 1926
through 1927 & 1930 through 1932 = ($1,852)
- China service with Navy and Marines - 1937 through 1939 = ($1,852)
- WW II - Dec. 7, 1941 through Dec. 31, 1946 = ($1,852)
- Korean - June 25, 1950 through Jan. 31, 1955 = ($1,852)
- Vietnam - Feb. 28, 1961 through May 7, 1975 = ($1,852)
- Lebanon or Grenada Service - Aug. 24, 1982 through July 31, 1984 = ($1,852)
- Panama Service - Dec. 20, 1989 through Jan. 31, 1990 - ($1,852)
- Person Gulf - Aug. 2, 1990 to still open = ($1,852)
To qualify you must have a DD-214 Discharge and Separation Form recorded with
the Story County Recorder's Office.